Recently, for various reasons, the interest of Russians in domestic tourism has been growing. One of the most popular destinations is small towns located in the European part of the country. Novy Oskol, located 110 km east of Belgorod, belongs to this large group of objects that are gladly visited by travelers interested in the Russian province.
What is interesting about Novy Oskol?
In 1637, on the left bank of the Oskol River, a standing fortress was founded. Since 1647, the settlement, which served to protect the roads leading to Moscow from the raids of the Crimean Tatars, became known as Tsarev-Alekseev. Later, in 1655, the future city was renamed Novy Oskol. Gradually, this place lost its important fortification value. In the XVIII-XIX centuries, the city developed as a center of bread production. Now Novy Oskol and its surroundings attract tourists with several features:
- protected places, rich springs, forests and groves;
- ancient sacred structures;
- recreation opportunities among the natural landscapes of Central Russia;
- monuments telling about different stages of the history of the city and the region, starting from the era of the struggle against the Crimean Tatars and ending with the events associated with the liberation of the Belgorod land from the Nazi invaders.
In 2021, in Novy Oskol, located 720.5 km south of Moscow, there are 5 large industrial enterprises, 4 secondary schools, Oskol – the center of cultural development – and an agricultural college. 13 sculptural compositions and historical monuments were erected in the city.
- 1 Central Square
- 2 Monument to Alexei Mikhailovich Romanov – Russian Tsar
- 3 Central Square
- 4 Women’s Gymnasium
- 5 Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- 6 Oskol River
- 7 Cossack camp “Sosnovoye”
- 8 Homestead “House of the Goose”
- 9 Museum named after the First Cavalry Army
- 10 Botanical Reserve “Cretaceous Mountain”
- 11 Reserve “Stenki-Izgorya”
- 12 Guest estate of Pugachev
- 13 Beam Moreny Log–Yegoryevsky spring
- 14 Spring Golubino
- 15 Spring “Chernov Klyuch”, Sharapovka
- 16 Attractions Novy Oskol on map
The territory of Novy Oskol is 23.6 sq. km. This is about three times less than the area of the Central Administrative District of the Russian capital. The city is not rich in attractions. Tourists usually begin to explore the interesting objects of Novy Oskol from the Central Square, located 660 m north-west of the railway station. In the neighborhood with it intersect two streets: Glory and May 1.
The length of the square is 100 m, the width is 73 m. Here are the administrations of the city and the district, the hostel, the hotel “Belogorye”, as well as the buildings of banks, shops and gastronomic institutions. The dominant building of the Central Square is a monument to Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich. The bus stop is located just north on Grazhdana Street.
Monument to Alexei Mikhailovich Romanov – Russian Tsar
New Oskol was founded thanks to the Russian monarch from the Romanov dynasty. Alexey Mikhailovich signed a decree on the construction of a standing jail in the distant 1637 The memory of the Russian tsar was immortalized recently. On August 27, 2010, a sculptural composition dedicated to A. M. Romanov was solemnly opened on the Central Square of Novy Oskol. The author of the monument is Sergey Medvedev.
The Moscow sculptor depicted Alexei Mikhailovich sitting on the throne. In the hands of the monarch are symbols of power: a scepter and a power. The height of the pedestal is 2 m. On its sides there are friezes (decorative elements) telling about the history of Novy Oskol. The height of the bronze figure of the king together with the throne on which the monarch sits is 3 m, the weight is 2 thousand kg. Access to the monument is possible throughout the calendar year.
On the west side of the main city square adjoins the territory of the cozy Central Square. In the middle of this green oasis rises a small fountain that works in the summer months. On the territory of the square there are several objects of interest to guests of Novy Oskol:
- bust of A. S. Kostitsin, installed on a concrete-brick pedestal in 1968; the monument is dedicated to the Soviet Major-General, who led the battles for the liberation of the city from the Nazi invaders in 1943;
- “Deryabin House” is a two-storey building built in 1905; the building has the status of a historical monument and bears the name of the landowner who founded it; now there is the main stage of the House of Culture, where creative evenings, concerts and chess and checkers tournaments are held;
- mass grave of three Soviet soldiers who gave their lives for the liberation of Novy Oskol in the war against Nazi Germany.
The central square is located between three streets: Civil, Glory and May 1. The city bus stop is located on Grazhdana Street. Residents of Novy Oskol visit the square at any time of the year.
Адрес: ул. Гражданская, дом 19.
At the intersection of two streets – Lenin and Gagarin – is one of the most important historical buildings of Novy Oskol. The women’s gymnasium was opened in 1905 An important role in the foundation of the educational institution was played by the Kursk nobles and heirs of Nicholas II. Local residents originally called the educational institution “Olginskaya Gymnasium” in honor of Princess Olga – the daughter of the Russian monarch.
The two-storey red-brick building is decorated with a small balcony located on the second floor of the central part of the facade. In front of the gymnasium stands a monument to Princess Olga. Now in the historic building there are classrooms and other premises of the city secondary school No. 1.
Gymnasium webpage: http://kultura-novosk.ru/zdanija_1shkola.html
Address: Gagarin str., 24.
Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
At the intersection of two city streets – Uspenskaya and May 1 – stands the building of the main temple of New Oskol. The blue facade of the single-domed Assumption Cathedral stands out against the background of gray neighboring buildings. The stone church was built in 1803 on the site of a small wooden church. Local craftsmen participated in the construction of the sacred structure.
In 1823 the cathedral was enlarged. The main shrine of the temple is the miraculous icon of Praskeva. The image of the Great Martyr is still kept inside the sacred structure. From the 1920s to 1943, the cathedral was closed. Regular services resumed only in the 1960s. At the same time, a bell tower was erected, repeating the architectural style of the temple. The weight of the largest bell is 640 kg.
Since June 6, 2006, a spiritual and educational center has been operating at the temple. Evening services begin at 5 p.m. The doors of the Assumption Cathedral are open daily for everyone who wants to visit the temple. The nearest bus stops are located on the streets: 1 May and Uspenskaya.
Cathedral Web Page: http://noskol-1.cerkov.ru/
Address: Uspenskaya str., 14.
Almost all old Russian cities are based on the banks of rivers. New Oskol was no exception to this general rule. Through the city flows Oskol – a relatively small river flowing into the Seversky Donets. The length of the water artery, the source of which is located on one of the hills of the Central Russian Upland, is 472 km. The Oskol River is characterized by the following indicators:
- channel width – from 10 to 40 m;
- flow rate – from 0.2 to 1.2 m/s;
- type of food – snow;
- basin area – 14.8 thousand sq. km;
- regions through which the river flows: Kursk, Belgorod and Kharkov;
- number of tributaries – 33.
Oskol is part of the Donbass-Seversky Donets canal system. Four reservoirs were built on the river: Chernyanka, Novooskolskoye, Morkvinskoye and Starooskolskoye. In Oskol there are a very different fish:
- perch and others.
On the banks of the river there are several beaches: not far from the Northern microdistrict and streets – Embankment, Sosnovaya and May 1. Oskol skirts the city to the west. The total length of the river inside Novy Oskol is 8.7 km.
Cossack camp “Sosnovoye”
One of the most interesting objects for tourists is located on the northern outskirts of the city. “Pine”, positioning itself as a Cossack camp, began to receive guests in 2013 The picturesque place is located between a pine grove and a river. For guests to relax there are two wooden gazebos, accommodated up to 100 people. Exciting events are organized for visitors at the camp almost daily:
- horse riding;
- festive banquets;
- competitions and competitions;
- performances of Cossacks with songs and dances;
- picnics with barbecue.
Guests are treated to Cossack dishes prepared by the owners of the camp: Alexey and Lyudmila Novikov. You can visit “Sosnovoye” throughout the year in the daytime as part of an excursion. Events are organized in Belgorod. The number of participants is from 18 people. The cost of the tour is from 1.4 thousand rubles for one tourist.
Many travelers get to “Sosnovy” on their own by car or public transport. The bus stop is located on 1st Cavalry Army Street.
Address of the Cossack camp: Narodnaya street, 2.
Tourists coming to Novy Oskol to see the sights of the picturesque city will certainly visit the neighboring towns and villages. Acquaintance with the surrounding area allows inquisitive travelers to plunge deeper into the history of the region and visit natural sites that attract with their natural beauty.
Homestead “House of the Goose”
29 km west of Novy Oskol, if you go by road, there is a well-known to tourists “House of the Goose”. This is the name of the excursion estate, which opened its doors to guests in the village of Bogorodskoye in August 2010 In the “House of the Goose” visitors will find a wide range of exciting activities:
- concert programs of folklore groups of the district;
- feeding geese, goats and rabbits;
- mowing the grass;
- folk games and competitions;
- milking goats;
- animation performances for adults and young guests of the estate;
- performance of “Spinning Wheels” – folklore ensemble.
A small playground is available for children. In the building of the estate there is an exhibition, the exhibits of which tell about the peasant life of the first half of the last century. Here are also documents that store information about the life of N. B. Golitsyn is a famous cellist and public figure who was friends with A. S. Pushkin. Nikolai Borisovich lived in Bogorodskoye for 30 years.
At the estate there is a souvenir shop. The cost of the excursion program for an adult visitor is 50 rubles, for children – 30 rubles. “House of the Goose” receives guests from Tuesday to Sunday. On weekdays, the doors of the estate are open from 10 am to 5 pm. On weekends, the “House of the Goose” ends to receive guests an hour earlier – at 16:00.
Tourists get to the estate as part of excursions or independently along the M2 highway, going through Podolkhi, Ninovka and Olkhovatka. Travelers turn south in Velikolikha and drive along kakhovkaya and Sovetskaya streets to the “House of the Goose”.
Social media webpage: https://vk.com/club188300168
Address: Bogorodskoye village, Kozelskaya str., 18.
Museum named after the First Cavalry Army
19 km in a straight line or 24 km by road west of Novy Oskol there is a unique museum. The history of the cultural institution began on December 6, 1919, when a meeting of the Revolutionary Military Council was held in the village of Velikomikhailovka in the house of a local peasant A. Kravtsov. At a historically important event, the issue of transforming the Cavalry Corps into the First Cavalry Army was discussed. Among the participants of the meeting were Marshals K. E. Voroshilov and S. M. Budenny, as well as I. V. Stalin.
In 1939, in the house where the historically important event took place, the Velikomikhailov Museum was founded, named after I. Stalin. Since March 1957, the institution of culture began to bear the name of the First Cavalry Army. The greatest interest of visitors is caused by the permanent expositions of the museum:
- the memorial room where the 1919 meeting was held; here are pieces of furniture – two armchairs, a lamp, a table and a chest – that existed in this place during the historic meeting;
- photographs, uniforms, personal belongings of marshals and fighters – all these exhibits are associated with the events of the Civil War;
- stable, reconstructed in the style of the early XX century; here you can see authentic objects of that period: horse-drawn carts, hedges, saddles, a machine gun cart, horseshoes and a spray.
The museum receives visitors from Tuesday to Sunday from 9:00 to 18:00. The cost of the entrance ticket for an adult guest is 30 p. Excursion service for one person is 50 p. Tourists get to the Velikomikhailov Museum by the M2 highway. Travelers go to Sovetskaya Street and turn north. Twice a day from the city of Rossosh there are regular buses that go through Novy Oskol to Velikomikhaylovsky.
Museum website: http://museum-vm.bel.muzkult.ru/
Address: Belgorod region, Novooskolsky district, Velikomikhailovka village, Sovetskaya str., 77.
Botanical Reserve “Cretaceous Mountain”
Novooskolsky district is rich in natural sites that may be of interest to travelers. “Cretaceous Mountain” is a botanical reserve located 17 km south-west of Novy Oskol, and is one of such places. The natural object, which occupies an area of 30 hectares, is distinguished by a variety of landscapes:
- chains of hills;
- steppe areas;
- deposits of Cretaceous rocks formed in the Cenozoic era;
- steeply sloped plateaus.
Since 2016, the reserve has the status of a territory under state protection. Many species of flora and fauna existing here are included in the Red Book. Among the most common plants and insects in the reserve are the following names:
- white felt buntiles;
- low sedge;
- praying mantises;
- house crickets;
- chalk thyme.
Nature lovers get to the reserve from Novy Oskol on the M2 road. After Olkhovatka you need to turn south towards Belomestny. Entrance to the territory of the reserve is free. Tourists come here in winter and summer.
Address: Belgorod region, Novooskolsky district, Belomestnoye village.
9 km south-west from Novy Oskol is located Makeshkino – a small picturesque village. Next to it are the “possessions” of the site “Stenki-Izgorya”, which since 1999 is part of the “Belogorye” – a large reserve. Research on this territory has been conducted since the beginning of the last century.
Tract “Stenki-Izgorya” was opened in 1926 A great contribution to the study of this area made B. M. Kozo-Polyansky – Voronezh botanist. As a protected area “Walls-Izgorya” exist since 1995 The total area of the site is 267 hectares. On the territory of “Stenok-Izgorye” there are a variety of natural objects:
- chalk slope;
- upland oak tree;
- communities of steppe plants;
- chalk pine;
- waterplain complexes;
- grass swamps.
The height of the hills on the territory of “Stenok-Izgorye” is from 100 to 193 m. On the protected area there are 85 varieties of lichens, 83 types of bryophytes and more than 700 species of vascular plants. Most often here you can see:
- sticky alder;
- chalk thyme;
- Don onosma;
- feathery feathery.
Among the insects there are ordinary machaons, mnemysins, carpenter bees, deer beetles and many others. No less diverse is the world of local animals:
- European roe deer;
- spotted deer;
- Wild boars.
In the protected area there are more than 60 species of birds. From April to November, Stenok-Izgorye offers walking tours, which are only available on weekdays. The minimum number of group members is 5 people. The cost for one tourist is 80 p. Preferential price for students, pensioners and students is 40 p. On the excursion it is necessary to agree in advance with the administration of the reserve. The duration of the event is 2 hours. The length of the route is 3 km.
From Novy Oskol to Makeshkino can be reached by rail by train.
The site of the reserve “Belogorye”: http://www.zapovednik-belogorye.ru/
Stenok-Izgorya webpage: http://www.zapovednik-belogorye.ru/stenky_isgoryja
Address: Novooskolsky district, Makeshkino village
Guest estate of Pugachev
For tourists who want to stay in a cozy house surrounded by natural landscapes, pugachev’s estate is one of the most suitable options. Guests will find accommodation and rest in a comfortable two-storey cottage. The total area of 4 rooms is 250 sq. m. The guest house can accommodate up to 14 people.
The estate is located in the village of Pribrezhny, which is located near Novy Oskol. The town centre is about 2.4 km from the guest house and 1.9 km from the Oskol River. The coastal is located to the west of Novy Oskol. The guest house and the territory around it are equipped with everything that is necessary for a comfortable stay and rest:
- spacious furnished rooms;
- Russian bath;
- cozy kitchen;
- a platform for setting up tents;
- parking for two cars;
- playground for children’s games.
The owners of the guest estate – Galina and Vladimir Pugachev – will organize a transfer for guests on a convenient minibus that can seat up to 9 passengers. Tourists staying in Pugachev’s house receive a wide range of services:
- satellite TV;
- excursions in Novoosokolsky district;
- high-speed Internet;
- atv rental;
- internal telephone communication;
- fishing gear;
- set of dishes;
- towels and brooms for the bath.
On the territory of the estate Pugachev equipped with a summer gazebo. Depending on the season, the cost of daily accommodation for one guest is from 800 to 1.5 thousand rubles.
Address of the guest estate: Nikolsky district, Pribrezhny village, Narodnaya str., 2.
Beam Moreny Log–Yegoryevsky spring
About 12 km north-west of Novy Oskol between the villages of Solonets-Polyana and Kiselevka there is a unique sacred place. About yegoryevsky spring (often called a well) is known to every resident of the Belgorod region. The water in the spring has healing power.
Every year on May 6, crowds of believers gather at the Moraine Log beam. On this day, when George the Victorious is honored, here, at the Yegoryevsk spring, a divine service is performed. A little later, on May 9, residents of the surrounding area come to the source to collect holy water. A low oak log house was built above the spring. There is also a worship cross, on which you can see the icon with the image of St. George.
Tourists get to the Yegoryevsky spring from Novy Oskol along Ivan Putilin Street, then on the road through Podolkhi to Ninovka, where you should turn northwest and continue the path through Solonets-Polyana to the source. The most favorable time to visit the spring is from May to the end of October.
Address of the spring: Novooskolsky district, Solonets-Polyana village.
Novooskolsky district is rich in holy springs. One of them is located in Golubino , a small village located 12 km north-west of the new Oskol, if you go by road. Around the spring is equipped with a platform laid with tiles. There is also a font, two benches and a lantern illuminating the territory in the evening.
Access to the spring is open throughout the year. Most people come here during the warmer months. From Novy Oskol to the source, motorists get along Livenskaya Street and the road 14K-9, following which, you need to turn towards Oskolsky. The path goes past Miroshniki – a compact village – to the center of Golubino, where the holy spring and font are located.
Source address: Novooskolsky district, Golubino village
Spring “Chernov Klyuch”, Sharapovka
According to old-timers, the oldest holy spring of the region is located in the village of Sharapovka, located about 12 km east of the center of Novy Oskol. “Chernov key” – so called the spring. There is nothing mystical about this name. The spring is located on the territory of the garden of the Chernov family.
Here is the source of a tributary of the small river Belenka, flowing just to the north. On June 17, 2016, a fateful event occurred – the lighting of the spring. The water temperature in the key is 8 degrees Celsius, and this indicator never changes. Next to the spring there is a gazebo and a children’s playground with swings and a carousel.
The way from Novy Oskol to the spring located between two streets – Podgornaya and Lugova – passes along Alekseevskaya Street, then along the M2 road to Yakovlevka, reaching which, you need to turn north and continue the trip along the streets of Central and Zarechnaya.
Address of “Chernov Klyuch”: Novooskolsky district, Sharapovka village.
Novy Oskol is a small town of the Russian province
Travelers interested in their country can’t get past cities like Novy Oskol. This is a quiet and original corner of provincial Russia, where you can see with your own eyes the beauty of nature and the style of leisurely life of places far from tourist trails. Acquaintance with Novy Oskol will certainly help inquisitive travelers to understand the mentality and traditions of people living in the Russian province.