The ancient city of Borovsk, the former center of the Serpukhov-Borovsky principality, and now the administrative district center of the Kaluga region, in 2000 entered the list of historical settlements of Russia with no less historical sights. The first written mention of it is contained in the spiritual charter of Ivan the Red, dated 1358. But, judging by the archaeological finds, people settled here long before the creation of this document. A small cozy town is located on both banks of the Protva River, among dense forests, on low hills. There is everything that an inquisitive tourist needs – Russian huts, impassable jungles, golden-domed temples, mysterious tales and legends. Hotels can also be found for every taste
- 1 Svyato Pafniev Borovsky Monastery
- 2 Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Grove
- 3 Church of Boris and Gleb
- 4 Old Believer Church in the Name of the Introduction of the Most Holy Theotokos
- 5 Former house of merchant Bogomolov
- 6 Icon painting workshop in honor of A. P. St. John the Theologian at st. Pafnuyev Monastery
- 7 Chapel of boyar Morozova
- 8 Monument to K. Uh. Tsiolkovsky
- 9 Cathedral of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- 10 Monument to D. N. Senyavin
- 11 Restaurant-bar Izba
- 12 Shokins’ City Estate
- 13 Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross
- 14 City StreetArt
- 15 Church of the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the High
- 16 Monument to Paphnuthy Borovsky
- 17 Monastic tea room on Vysokoye
- 18 Holy spring with font
- 19 Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord on the Hills
- 20 Gremyachy Creek
- 21 Complex “Etnomir”
- 22 Forest labyrinth “Debri”
- 23 Family Park “Magic Country”
Svyato Pafniev Borovsky Monastery
You can get around Borovsk and get acquainted with its main attractions in one day. The excursion is best to start from the spiritual and historical place – St. Panfoutiev Borovsky Monastery. The monastery was founded in the middle of the 15th century. The Monk Panfutius did not accidentally choose a place on the outskirts of the settlement, where the Easterma flows into the Protva. Already by the 15th century, surrounded by stone walls, the monastery was an impregnable fortress. In 1610, the brethren held the defense against the Polish occupiers. The siege voivode was Prince Mikhail Volkonsky. Because of the betrayal of the voivodes Zmeev and Chelishchev, who opened the gates to the enemies, the prince was captured and burned at the stake. After the troubles, the clergy participated in the procedure of accession of the Romanov family. When there was no need for a defensive line, they began to exile figures undesirable to the authorities. Here for some time was the head of the Old Believers Archpriest Avvakum, here imprisoned, and then killed (starved) his faithful companions boyar Morozova and Princess Urusova. These and other events can be found in the monastery itself. It was transferred to the ROC in 1991. After the restoration work receives pilgrims and tourists. A hotel is opened at the monastery.
Official site: http://www.pafnuty-abbey.ru/
Address: 1 Dmitrova St., Borovsk, Kaluga Oblast, Russian Federation
Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Grove
On the old road leading to the Panfoutiev Monastery is the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It stands on a hill above Protva and is visible from afar. The one-domed temple in the late Baroque style was built in 1708. Today it is used as a summer temple, as there is no heating in it. A little later, a warm refectory and a three-tiered bell tower were built. The temple is equipped with three thrones. One in honor of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary is located in the summer part, in the name of John the Theologian – on the south side in the refectory, in honor of St. Basil the Great – in the northern part of the temple. After the revolution, parishioners opposed the closure of the church. Before the war, divine services were not held regularly, after 1945 services were conducted without forced breaks. The temple is famous for the fact that konstantin Tsiolkovsky was married here on August 20, 1880. His wife was the daughter of his landlord Varvara Evgrafovna Sokolova. Near the church there is an ancient churchyard, on the territory of which monuments and tombstones of the 18th-19th centuries have been preserved.
Address: 33, Schmidt St., Borovsk, Kaluga Oblast, Russian Federation
Church of Boris and Gleb
A 15-minute walk from the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the church in the name of the holy faithful Boris and Gleb. The first written mention of it appeared in the early 17th century. Wooden buildings that preceded the stone temple, repeatedly burned to the bottom. They were restored until in 1704 a brick church with a warm chapel named after St. Panfuntia was built. This building has survived to this day. In 1889, another fire destroyed its roof and the heads with crosses. Repairs were carried out on the funds collected by parishioners. In Soviet times, the church was closed. The premises were used as warehouses. By the beginning of the 80s, the building was in disrepair. It was planned to be demolished, but the temple was again defended by the public. Funds were allocated for the restoration of the architectural monument. In 1993, the church was returned to the faithful. Today, services are regularly held here, the schedule of which can be found on the website of the http://borovskoe.blagochin.ru/xram-svv-kn-borisa-i-gleba-v-g-borovske/.
Address: 102 Kommunisticheskaya St., Borovsk, Kaluga Oblast, Russian Federation
Old Believer Church in the Name of the Introduction of the Most Holy Theotokos
Then you need to walk along Kommunistichesky Street to the shore of protva, then turn to Tsiolkovsky Street and walk to the Old Believer Vvedenskaya Church. It was built from 1906 to 1908. There were always many Old Believers in the city, but the community did not have a full-fledged temple, until in 1905 a new ordained priest Afanasy Dionysievich Kovshov came to the city. A year later, the construction of the temple began, which it was decided to build in the original Russian architectural style. By 1914, the bell tower was completed. During the First World War, the premises were donated for the infirmary. Parishioners helped care for the sisters for the wounded. After Father Athanasius, who died suddenly during the vigil service in 1915, his place was taken by Fr. Joel. He served until the closure of the church in 1930, and then continued services in the house of worship. The temple was returned to believers in 1989. Restoration work went on until 2015. A striking event is the procession from Vereya to Borovsk, established since 2009. So the Old Believers honor the memory of the boyar Morozova and her sister Princess Urusova.
Address: 10, Tsiolkovsky St., Borovsk, Kaluga Oblast, Russian Federation
Former house of merchant Bogomolov
There are many places in the city associated with the name of Konstantin Tsiolkovsky. One of them is the merchant house of Bogomolov, in which a friend of the scientist E.S. Eremeev lived. Past it will pass the path of further excursion route. The visual landmark is the Cathedral of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin. It is necessary to move in its direction, on the way considering the local architectural and historical sights. Bogomolov building was one of the first in Borovsk, built of stone. When the neighboring house was demolished and the building lost its support, it turned out that the stone structure was erected without a foundation. Cracks went along the walls, there was a need for urgent restoration work. Contractors created a miracle – the construction company prevented the destruction of the building, as a result, a plate with an Old Believer eight-pointed cross, drainage elements, metal rings for horse-twisting were preserved. Before the repair on one of the walls was an image of the mathematician P.L. Chebyshev. During the repair of the façade, it was painted over.
Address: 3 Kommunisticheskaya St., Borovsk, Kaluga Oblast, Russian Federation
Icon painting workshop in honor of A. P. St. John the Theologian at st. Pafnuyev Monastery
Almost opposite the house of the merchant Bogomolov there is an icon painting workshop. It was opened in 2002. The founder was the famous Obninsk icon painter Vladimir Kobzar. The workshop was opened with the blessing of Archbishop Clement of Kaluga and Borovsky. Initially, those who wanted to study the history of the Russian icon and learn the basics of artistic skill were received in the Panfuciev Monastery. Then there was its own workshop, which carried out high-quality restoration work on the restoration of ancient icons and writing new ones.
Address: 6 Kommunisticheskaya St., Borovsk, Kaluga Oblast, Russian Federation
Chapel of boyar Morozova
The square, located next to the workshop, will not attract much attention. There is a small monument to Yuri Gagarin, then there are several administrative buildings. Just behind them there is another interesting object. This is the Memorial Chapel in honor of the boyar Morozova, Princess Urusova and their ilk, who suffered for the faith in the 17th century. The building was built in the neo-Russian style in the early 2000s. But it’s not just a temple. This is part of the route leading “in the footsteps of the Old Believer martyrs.” If you do not know the history of persecution for the faith, then this object will become only another architectural structure along the path of studying Borovsk. It is recommended to come here with a guide or join a tour group. You can learn a lot of interesting facts. The chapel is part of the Procession vereya – Borovsk, which is held annually. The local Old Believers have their own website: http://rpsc.ru/church/borovsk/.
Address: 6 Sovetskaya St., Borovsk, Kaluga Oblast, Russian Federation
Monument to K. Uh. Tsiolkovsky
Then the road will pass through the square, where a monument to K.E. is erected. Tsiolkovsky. The sculptural composition appeared in the park in 2007 just in time for the 150th anniversary of the founder of Russian cosmonautics. Previously, there was a bronze bust of a scientist who suffered greatly from vandalism in the late 80s. A mentally ill resident of the city twice blew his head off. As a result, it was decided to remove the bust from the square. A few years later, the charitable foundation “Dialogue of Cultures – One World” created an initiative group and raised funds for the restoration of the monument. As a replacement for the bust, a smaller copy of the Moscow monumental group dedicated to cosmonautics was chosen. Composition of the sculptor S.Yu. Bychkova was so organic that its analogues are installed not only in Moscow and Borovsk, but also in Brisbane, Australia. It was installed in the same anniversary year 2007 near the city planetarium. The two-level composition includes the upper part in the form of a rocket taking off, and the lower, where a scientist dreaming of space sits.
Address: sovetskaya Street Square, Borovsk, Kaluga Oblast, Russian Federation
Cathedral of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The alley of the square leads to the Cathedral of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin. This is the cathedral in which the main divine services in the city are held. There was always a church on this site. At first it was wooden. After the fire of 1634, the construction of a stone temple began. It received the status of a cathedral in 1799, when the Kaluga diocese was formed. In October 1812, Napoleonic troops entered the city. They looted and desecrated the church. For the next three years, abbot Semion restored the destroyed economy. By 1819, he completed the refectory, new aisles. It is in this form that the temple has reached our days. The territory of the cathedral was constantly increasing. By the beginning of the twentieth century, two churches, a women’s gymnasium, a higher primary school, a men’s school, a school for refugees and a women’s school were assigned to it. With the establishment of Soviet power, the cathedral was deprived of all institutions, looted and once again desecrated. It was not closed and in spite of all the troubles each time restored by the forces of the parishioners. It operated during the “red” obscurantist, fascist occupation, when Orthodox shrines were thrown into the street by the Germans, the Soviet “thaw”, stagnation and perestroika. The flock and clergy managed to preserve the main shrines of the temple – a wonderful icon-relican, containing particles of the cross and the holy sepulchre, as well as a carved image of St. Nicholas, an icon of St. Panfutius and his staff. The cathedral in Soviet times was a repository of shrines and icons, which in the 90s were distributed to other churches of the region.
Address: 1 Lenina St., Borovsk, Kaluga Oblast, Russian Federation
Monument to D. N. Senyavin
Immediately behind the cathedral there is a square with a monument to Admiral Dmitry Nikolayevich Senyavin. He was born in the village of Komlevo near Borovsk in 1763. A descendant of a well-known noble family, he followed in the footsteps of his ancestors, and at the age of 10 entered the service of the Naval Cadet Corps. He rose to the rank of admiral of the fleet, participated in numerous naval battles and wars. He became a legend of the Russian Navy. His grave is located in the Annunciation Church of the Alexander Nevsky Lavra in St. Petersburg. In Borovsk, the small homeland of the naval commander, a monument was erected to his 250th anniversary.
Address: 25 Lenin Square, Borovsk, Kaluga Oblast, Russian Federation
A hundred meters from the monument to Senyavin is one of the most interesting Borov restaurants “Izba”. All points of public catering of the city like to feed tourists with homemade food. Hotels do not lag behind them. But, if the hotel is far from the excursion route, then you have to choose from what is on the way. The “Izba” offers not only authentic Russian cuisine, but also a magnificent interior, as well as tables on the observation deck, which overlooks the surroundings. Unfortunately, recently the restaurant is often closed. This is due to the reconstruction and repair of premises. If you are not lucky enough to get here, then 300 meters from the “Hut” there are cafes “Mikado” (Japanese cuisine), “Friendship” (the most popular café in the city), “Bellisimo” (European dishes). You can also have a snack in the “Monastic Tea Room”, to which it takes about 10-15 minutes.
Address of the restaurant “Izba”: Lenina Str., 9a, Borovsk, Kaluga Region, Russian Federation
Shokins’ City Estate
Then the path will pass along Lenin Street. There are several interesting buildings. One of them is the wooden estate of the merchant Shokin. Rather, wooden lace decorate the upper tier of the house. The lower part with the foundation is made of stone. The building was built in the 19th century and at one time was considered the most beautiful in the city. Now, if you hurry, you can take photos of the historic house until it finally collapses. Citizens accuse the authorities of negligence in relation to this architectural monument. After the revolution, there was a kindergarten in it for some time. Today there is an exhibition hall with the works of Borov craftsmen, master classes are held on making rag dolls and dolls from natural materials (clay, wood).
Address: 15 Lenina St., Borovsk, Kaluga Oblast, Russian Federation
Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Along the street, created by one and two-storey old mansions, you can walk to the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. The first written mention of it appeared in 1650. Wooden churches were constantly heated during fires, but were restored again. This continued until 1800, when a stone chapel began to be built next to the next wooden building. It was completed only by 1814 on the donations of parishioners. Over time, living quarters for the ministers of the church were rebuilt, by 1914 the chapel of St. Panfutia and the Church of the Intercession in Vysokoye were assigned to the temple. In 1925, the temple was closed, and the premises were transferred to the needs of the machine and tractor workshop. During the war, a live shell hit the building, and the southern facade suffered from machine gun fire. After the war, they did not restore the building, but adapted it for a water tower. In the early 90’s began restoration work. Since 2014, the temple has again become operational.
Address: 54 Volodarskogo St., Borovsk, Kaluga Oblast, Russian Federation
Traveling around Borovsk, tourists pay attention to the walls and fences painted with interesting graffiti. This is the work of local artist Vladimir Ovchinnikov (born in 1938). He decided to tell the guests about the life and history of the provincial town in the language of drawing. It turned out to be a kind of parallel city, an open-air art gallery. To decorate the walls of old houses graffiti enthusiast began recently. He is a civil engineer by profession, but has always been fond of artistic creativity. After retirement, he decided to tell his own vision of historical and secular events with the help of street painting. All works are made with soul and good taste. Despite this, there are a lot of opponents of the artist’s work. Although tourists clearly like this entourage.
Church of the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the High
So imperceptibly for himself, looking at the painted walls, the traveler finds himself on the outskirts of Borovsk near the metoy of the St. Panfoutiev Monastery. The place is interesting, first of all, by the presence here of the wooden church of the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary. This is a traditional for these places cage temple with a refectory and a bell tower with a bypass gallery. The first written mention of it dates back to 1621. According to legend, the altar was installed over the grave of the parents of St. Panfutia. In 1868, a chapel was built near it. The church was repeatedly restored. As a result of repair work, rotten logs were replaced, the hewn roof was replaced with iron, the outer skin was updated. The main shrines are the miraculous icon of the Tikhvin Mother of God, the relics of the righteous Lazarus the Four-Day, the icons of St. Spyridon of Trimifunt and the Most Holy Theotokos with a piece of the relics of the holy righteous Anna.
Address: 41 Rabochaya St., Borovsk, Kaluga Oblast, Russian Federation
Monument to Paphnuthy Borovsky
The Church of the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Vysokoe was built on the territory of the Vysoko-Pokrovsky Monastery. In 1414 the Monk Panfutius came here and for 20 years was his monk. In 1444 he left the monastery to found a new monastery on the Isterma River. A monument was erected in his memory in 2016. The author of the sculpture was Alexei Leonov. The customer was the international fund “Dialogue of Cultures – One World”, which paid for the work and presented the sculpture to the citizens.
Monastic tea room on Vysokoye
Next to the Church of the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, a monastery tea room was opened. Traditional church and Russian dishes are cooked here in a real wood-burning oven. The menu includes borscht, soups, cutlets, dumplings, pastries. Teas from fragrant and useful herbs are brewed here. Family and folk holidays are celebrated here. Tourists like to dine or dine at spacious tables in the bright refectory. The food is simple but very affordable. Do not miss the opportunity to eat well before exploring two more important attractions located nearby.
Address: 41 Rabochaya St., Borovsk, Kaluga Oblast, Russian Federation
Holy spring with font
Near the monument to Panfutiy Borovsky there is a holy spring with a font. The territory is landscaped. The interior is divided into two parts – in both there are baths, in one for men, in the other for women. Water is drained through pipes. To the source is a descent lined with pieces of marble. The hay is built of wood. According to legend, the Monk Panfutius, who was famous in the district as a healer, personally dug a well from which water flows into the baths. It is believed that the water from the source cures diseases of the respiratory system, eyes, ears, skin and nerves. Some help to get rid of rheumatism.
Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord on the Hills
After lunch, swimming and rest, you can make the last leap to the bus station, where the Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord on the Hills is located. It is located on a hill, so it is visible from afar. For those who came to Borovsk with an excursion for one day, it will be the last object worthy of inspection. Initially, there was a wooden church on this site, which is mentioned in written documents of 1650. Then it burned down, and it was not restored for a long time. Only in 1814, parishioners ripped off money for the construction of a temple made of brick. According to contemporaries, it was the most wealthy church in the city. It had its own library, an office, whose staff helped illiterate parishioners to make papers with petitions. In charge of the clergy were two apartment buildings, in which lived several dozen families. In 1923, the temple was closed, the property was confiscated, the abbot was arrested in the 30s and given 10 years without the right of correspondence. His fate is not known. Until 2002, there were warehouses in the temple, then the building was transferred back to the ROC. In 2009, the first liturgy was held with a new rector. Restoration work is still ongoing.
Address: 15, Uritsky St., Borovsk, Kaluga Oblast, Russian Federation
This is the end of the day trip. You can return home (bus station nearby) or to your hotels to go to the vicinity of Borovsk the next day. They are no less interesting than the city itself. It is best to go on your own transport, as buses run irregularly and you can lose a lot of time on transfers. But the car will be able to see natural attractions, make a memorable photo shoot or just have fun.
To begin with, it is worth going to the most beautiful place called Rattle Creek. It is a small river flowing into the Protva. Locals proudly call it a waterfall. It really looks a bit like a water cascade. Water flows down large boulders, “thunders”, so the same locals call the stream Gremyachim. Around the amazing beauty. No wonder the stream is a popular attraction of ecotourism. You need to go along the Kiev highway to the bridge over the Protva, then turn to the village of Mitinka. After passing the village, turn left behind a large sand quarry. The road leads to the village of Podchervino. Before reaching it, orient yourself along the water tower and turn right. Then walk 50 meters.
Address: Russia, Kaluga Region, Zhukovsky District, Russian Federation
Then you need to go towards the village of Petrovo. Here is the park-museum “Ethnomir”. Its large territory (140 hectares) is intended for excursions, walks in the fresh air, healthy and active recreation away from the city noise, gas pollution and bustle. Here you can stay for a few days or spend a vacation. Eco-hotels that meet international standards of comfort have been built for living. The project is conceived as the creation of a park on a single territory from ethnic cultures of different peoples of the world. At each farmstead, handicraft workshops are opened, in which work on the production of handicrafts, souvenirs is in full swing, master classes are held. An integral part are restaurants with authentic cuisine. Hotels are presented in the form of a Russian farmstead with huts, Ukrainian mazanok, Kazakhstan yurts, Chukchi plagues. There are Himalayan and Nepalese houses. For those who want to feel like a raja, an Indian palace has been built.
Address: Petrovo village, Borovsky District, Kaluga Oblast, Russian Federation
Forest labyrinth “Debri”
For the most inquisitive and clever tourists in the Ethnopark built a forest labyrinth “Debri”. This is a network of intricate trails with a length of more than 1 km, bridges over small forest streams, an observation tower. Several fascinating routes have been developed that are constantly changing. For fans of quests, such entertainment will be a real adventure. On weekends, up to 600 people can be on the routes at the same time. Participants can take part in competitions for the passage of the labyrinth for a while, team competitions, “search expeditions”.
Address: Russia, Kaluga region, Borovsky district, Petrovo village, Ethnomir park
Family Park “Magic Country”
For family holidays with children in the Ethnopark there is a playground “Magic Country”. It is based on the fairy tale “The Wizard of the Emerald City”. Visitors are invited to walk the path of Ellie and Totoshka along a winding path of yellow brick. The expedition members are waiting for a meeting with the Iron Lumberjack, scarecrow, Cowardly Lion and other characters. In addition to the famous events, adults and children will visit Ellie’s upside-down house, in which her hurricane brought her to this amazing country.
Address: Russia, Kaluga region, Borovsky district, Petrovo village
In Borovsk you can spend a day, in the Ethnopark – a whole vacation. Beautiful nature in combination with ancient Russian sights will leave a pleasant impression and give a lot of positive emotions.