Vladimir is one of the oldest cities in Russia. The date of its foundation is considered to be 1108, when Grand Duke Vladimir Monomakh laid a fortress on Klyazma. The city was the capital of North-Eastern Russia. Andrei Bogolyubsky moved his residence here, and Vladimir reached his real heyday during the reign of Prince Vsevolod the Big Nest. There are unique buildings of the 12th century, numerous architectural monuments of subsequent centuries, unique sights characteristic of this region of the country. Vladimir is included in the route “Golden Ring of Russia”. The city has a modern tourist infrastructure, including fashionable hotels, authentic restaurants, entertainment areas. The main wealth of Vladimir are its attractions. Almost all significant objects are located in the historical center, so there will be a walk to get acquainted with the main ones.
- 1 Golden Gate
- 2 Cathedral Square
- 3 Holy Dormition Cathedral
- 4 St. Demetrius Cathedral
- 5 Lipki Park (Cathedral)
- 6 Pushkin Park
- 7 Monument to the Baptists of the Vladimir Land
- 8 Patriarchal Garden
- 9 Ferris wheel “Sky 33”
- 10 Georgievskaya Street
- 11 Museum Complex “Chambers”
- 12 Museum “Old Vladimir”
- 13 Vladimir Historical Museum
- 14 Our Lady of the Nativity Monastery
- 15 Trinity Church
- 16 Church of the Intercession on the Nerl
- 17 Holy Bogolyubsky Monastery
- 18 Svyato-Vvedenskaya island desert
- 19 Forge-Museum of Borodin
- 20 Museum “Old Pharmacy”
- 21 Museum “Lights of Vladimir”
- 22 Chocolate workshop
- 23 Museum of Illusions and Sciences “Da Vinci”
- 24 Gingerbread House-Museum
- 25 Museum of Lacquer Miniature Crystal and Embroidery
The main attraction is the Golden Gate, built in 1164 by decree of Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky. They were founded in 1158, when the capital of the principality was moved from Suzdal to Vladimir. The structure is made in the form of the Arc de Triomphe. They issued the central entrance to the New Town, where rich princes and boyars rebuilt their palaces and mansions. From the gate around the perimeter were poured earthen ramparts. Previously, there were seven more equipped entrance zones around the city. They have not survived, so the Golden Gate is of particular interest. They simultaneously served as a front entrance to Vladimir and were used as a defensive structure.
In the upper part the gate Rizpolezhenskaya church was erected. Today it houses a military-historical exposition, and the object itself belongs to the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum-Reserve. Before the revolution, the temple performed its main functions. Today it contains exhibits that reflect the events of the victories of Russian troops from ancient centuries to our time. The exhibition presents samples of weapons, memorial items, documents. One of the showcases is given to the things of cosmonaut Valery Kubasov, which is of particular interest. Entrance fee. The price varies from 100 to 150 rubles.
Address: Vladimir, Dvoryanskaya str., 1A
The historically developed center of the city is located on the Cathedral Square. After the revolution, it was renamed Freedom Square, but in 1991 it returned to its former name. There are two temples of the 12th century – Uspensky and Dmitrievsky. They rise above Klyazma and largely determine the appearance of the city. Each house is a separate architectural history. The greatest interest is caused by the monuments installed on the square. In the very center stands a monument in honor of the 850th anniversary of Vladimir. It was created by sculptor Daniil Ryabichev. The opening took place in 1958. The author depicted the connection of generations with the help of artistic images of a warrior, whose figure faces the defensive Golden Gate, an architect who looked at the Assumption Cathedral, a modern worker who became the personification of the development of the industrial complex of the city. In 1925, a monument to Lenin was erected in a small square near the historical building of the bank. In 1995, a monument to Andrei Rublev appeared, and in 2008 – to the founder of the city, Prince Vladimir the Red Sun.
Holy Dormition Cathedral
Through the Cathedral Square passes one of the most interesting from a historical point of view Bolshaya Moskovskaya Street. Its buildings largely form the silhouette of the square, and some of them are the oldest symbols of Vladimir. One of these objects is the Assumption Cathedral. This Orthodox church, built in the XII century, is included in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. This is one of the few Orthodox cathedrals in which frescoes created by Andrei Rublev have been preserved. The white-stone building is considered a monument of architecture of pre-Mongol Russia. In his image and likeness, later temples were built, including on the territory of the Moscow Kremlin. Today, the territory of the Assumption Cathedral is divided between the RoC and the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum-Reserve. Divine services are held in the temple, and its interior decoration is used as a museum exposition. Here you can see the frescoes of Andrei Rublev and Daniil Cherny (monk and icon painter).
Address: 56 Bolshaya Moskovskaya street
St. Demetrius Cathedral
The second most historically important temple – St. Demetrius Cathedral – was built by decree of Prince Vsevolod Yurievich Big Nest. Previously, it was the territory of the princely court, on which the white-stone cathedral was built, which became the canon of the cross-domed Orthodox churches of Vladimir-Suzdal architecture. The temple was consecrated in honor of the Great Martyr Demetrius of Thessalonica, the heavenly patron of the Grand Duke. It was first mentioned in the Radziwill Chronicle, where the dates of construction were indicated, but scientists are still arguing about their accuracy. They range from 1191 to 1197. Russian craftsmen used white limestone for construction. The building is famous for its white stone carvings. Since 1992, the object has been included in the list of architectural monuments of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Address: Bolshaya Moskovskaya str., 60
Lipki Park (Cathedral)
After visiting St. De de Demitr’s Cathedral, you can stroll through the Cathedral Park, called Lipki. It occupies only 2.8 hectares and looks more like a square or city garden. But it is habitually considered a park. It was born gradually. More than 800 years ago there was a princely court on this place. On one side of it stood the majestic Cathedral of the Assumption, on the other – performing the role of the house church of St. Demetrius Cathedral. Lindens were planted here gradually. There were beautiful flower beds, walking alleys. Landscaping continues to this day. There is already a Television Alley, which was planted by employees of the local TV channel, celebrating the 25th anniversary of the state television and radio company “Vladimir”.
In the vicinity of Lipki is the most important attraction of Vladimir – the park. A.S. Pushkin. It covers an area of 8.7 hectares, has a modern infrastructure and lighting system. It traces its history back to the beginning of the 19th century. In 1802-1804, one of the defensive earthen ramparts was demolished. Initially, a boulevard was built on this place, then, after the Great Patriotic War, a park with walking areas, monuments and entertainment facilities appeared. The park is equipped with an observation deck, which offers views of Klyazma, the historical part of the city, remote areas, the bridge “850 years of the city of Vladimir”, forests, fields and Meshcher swamps. The park is located next to the Assumption Cathedral, the Museum Center “Chambers” and St. De la D’Clock.
Monument to the Baptists of the Vladimir Land
The observation deck in Pushkin Park is the location of the monument to the founder of the city, Prince Vladimir the Red Sun, and the priest Fyodor, who baptized the population of the Vladimir land. The opening was timed to coincide with the celebration of the 850th anniversary of the transfer of the capital from Kiev to Vladimir. The composition was worked by the Moscow sculptor, Honored Artist of Russia Sergey Isakov. The funds were allocated by the Foundation of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. On the opening day, the monument was consecrated by Archbishop Evlogy of Vladimir and Suzdal.
Address: observation deck of the park. A. S. Pushkin
Several more species sites are located in the Patriarchal Garden on Spassky Hill. This is the center of the city, and the place itself was equipped in the days of Andrei Bogolyubsky in the 12th century. Once there were fruit trees and five varieties of cherries. As a tribute to respect and love for the most beautiful corner of Vladimir, at the entrance there is a sculptural composition in the form of cherry berries. From the observation decks there are amazing views of Klyazma, temples, ponds, fountains and other beauties of the surrounding area. The garden is a favorite place for photo shoots. Here you can make amazing photos that will decorate pages in social networks or a family photo album. Entrance to the territory is paid. An adult ticket costs 150 rubles, a children’s ticket – 50 rubles If there is a desire to save, then from 11.00 to 15.00 on weekdays all visitors are allowed to enter the territory at a single cost of 50 rubles.
Address: Kozlov Val str.
Ferris wheel “Sky 33”
It is impossible to imagine a large regional center with an ancient history without the attraction “Ferris Wheel”. The attraction “Sky 33” appeared in 2015 and immediately became the most visited. The height of the wheel is 50 meters. It is one of the ten highest Ferris wheels in Russia. In the evenings, the area around the attraction and the sky are illuminated with all the colors of the rainbow. The name was chosen by the townspeople themselves as a result of the competition. The price for an adult is 200 rubles, for children from 3 to 10 years old – 150 rubles.
Address: Mira str., 36, Central Park of Culture and Recreation
Vladimir “Arbat” is located in the historical part of the city. It is a pedestrian street with its own history and architecture. The walk will pass by St. George’s Church, the ensemble of the Spassky and Nikolsky temples, the Spassky Hill, along the coastal terrace. On the hill there are two observation decks. The road is paved with paving slabs, stylized antique lanterns, street sculptures of a firefighter, a filler, a shalopaya, a customs post are installed everywhere. These art objects are directly related to the fire station and the former name of the street – “Shalopaevka”. The street began to acquire its new appearance in 2015.
Address: the area between Bolshaya Moskovskaya and Spasskaya streets.
Museum Complex “Chambers”
In the building, built by the architect Karl Blank in the 18th century by order of Catherine II, today there is one of the departments of the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum-Reserve. “Chambers” are located in the city center, surrounded by an old park next to ancient cathedrals. Initially, there were Presence Places in it. The architecture of the building has been repeatedly criticized for not matching the atmosphere of the ancient Slavic city with its Orthodox churches. In Soviet times, executive committees met here, then the house was given to a museum and library. Finally, in 1990, the authorities decided to restore order and transferred the building to the museum complex. For five years there were restoration and restoration works. Now in the building, recognized as an architectural monument of the 18th century, is the main educational museum center of Vladimir. On all 3 floors there are exhibition halls, a children’s center is organized, restoration workshops and a storage of funds are equipped.
Children’s Museum Center: full ticket – 100 rubles., Preferential – 70 rubles.
Expositions on the second floor: full ticket – 200 rubles, preferential – 150 rubles.
Address: Bolshaya Moskovskaya str., 58
Museum “Old Vladimir”
Not far from the Golden Gate is an ancient water tower. The object was given to the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum-Reserve. It was decided to create a museum “Old Vladimir”. In Russia, this was the first time when the water tower was turned into a full-fledged historical exposition. The collected exhibits tell about the life, way of life, culture of the city in the pre-revolutionary period. The tower itself is one of the symbols of Vladimir. It was built in 1912 by the city architect Sergei Zharov. Previously, this place was a tower designed by the German engineer Dill. He specially developed construction drawings, taking into account the specifics of the oldest Vladimir water pipeline in Russia. Then it was demolished and a new one was built, in which this unique museum was opened in 1975.
A full ticket costs 150 rubles, a preferential one costs 100 rubles.
Address: Kozlov dead end, 14
Vladimir Historical Museum
This object is also one of the departments of the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum-Reserve. The exposition acquaints tourists with all the significant events that occurred on the territory of the city from ancient times to the beginning of the twentieth century. Finding a historical museum is easy. It is next to Lipki Park. It occupies a four-storey brick building built in 1900. Almost immediately, the old museum moved to it (founded in 1854), which had been sheltered in the men’s gymnasium. The exposition “History of the Vladimir Territory” at that time consisted of 900 exhibits. It was opened to visitors in 1906. Today, the ticket price is 100 – 150 rubles.
Address: Bolshaya Moskovskaya str., 64
Our Lady of the Nativity Monastery
The first mention of this male monastery appeared in the annals of 1191. The founder of the monastery was Prince Vsevolod the Big Nest. He chose a place near the Ivanovo Gate (not preserved) on the scree. At the laying was attended by all the nobility of the principality, headed by the ruler. Until 1337, the Mother of God-Nativity Monastery was the center of monastic life in Russia. One of the main rarities is the preserved Laurentian manuscript, which in its first part has a retelling of the “Tale of Bygone Years” in the edition of Abbot Sylvester. The artifact is stored in the Russian National Library (St. Petersburg), and guests of Vladimir can visit the preserved and restored architectural objects – an ensemble of buildings of the 17-18 centuries, including monastic cells, the chambers of the archimandrite, the Church of the Nativity of Christ, the Holy Gate, the Cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin, auxiliary buildings. The Vladimir Theological Seminary was founded on the territory of the monastery.
Address: Bolshaya Moskovskaya str., 68
Vladimirites often call it the Red Church. The temple was built by the community of Old Believers. The author of the project was the architect Sergei Zharov, who supervised the construction from 1913 to 1916. The architectural ensemble near the Golden Gate was complemented by two churches of a non-Orthodox denomination – a Polish church and a German church (it was demolished in Soviet times). Zharov built an Old Believer church in the neo-Russian style. In 1928, the building was transferred to the city council, and for a long time it was used for various municipal needs. Thanks to the efforts of the townspeople and the writer Vladimir Soloukhin, the church was not demolished, but given to the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum-Reserve in 1971. Until now, the exposition “Crystal. Lacquer miniature. Embroidery”. The object is also interesting from an architectural point of view. Prices, as in other city museums of Vladimir – 100-150 rubles.
Address: 2, Dvoryanskaya str.
Near the historical center of Vladimir and on its territory, guests of the city are ready to accept cheap hotels: “Sokroma Historical Vladimir” (apartments), “HAPPY HOUSING” (apartments), “Orion” (3 stars) and, of course, the fashionable hotel “Vladimir” (3 stars).
Church of the Intercession on the Nerl
To continue acquaintance with the ancient temples of Vladimir, you need to go beyond it and visit the village of Bogolyubovo. One and a half kilometers from the village stands a white-stone temple, built in the middle of the 12th century. It appeared almost simultaneously with the new residence of Andrei Bogolyubsky. The prince was distinguished by a special reverent attitude to Orthodoxy, contained a group of architects and masons who built up his possessions with churches of amazing beauty. You can visit the temple daily from 08.00 to 18.00. It is valid, but they also let it just so to see the interior decoration, decoration and exhibition exposition of the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum-Reserve. In order to visit the attraction, you need to get by public transport (buses 3c, 18s, 53, 102, 107) from Vladimir to the stop “Bogolyubovo-3”, then one and a half kilometers to walk, following the signs.
Address: Vladimir region, Bogolyubovo village, Vokzalnaya str., 8
Holy Bogolyubsky Monastery
Do not immediately leave Bogolyubov. Here is another monument of ancient Russian architecture – the palace of Andrei Bogolyubsky built before the Mongol period, on the territory of which there is now a convent. Prince Andrew, as you know, was killed here, in his house. In order to atone for sins, it was decided to create a monastery in this place, populating the palace with God’s people. In the lists of ancient Russian monasteries, it is not listed. The first written mention appeared only in 1687. In Soviet times, the architectural complex was lucky that it was almost immediately transferred to the management of the museum business. In 1991, part of the buildings were transferred to the Vladimir diocese, and since 1997 it is an active monastery. On the territory you can see the remains of the palace of Andrei Bogolyubsky, the Nativity Cathedral, the Annunciation Church, the Bogolyubsky Cathedral, the gate bell tower, visit the holy spring and the secular font.
Address: Vladimir region, Bogolyubovo village, Lenin str., 47
There is nowhere to stay in the village, and travelers do not stay here for more than one day. The monastery hotel accepts pilgrims and laborers. You can ask for a wait. There are roadside hotels in the surrounding area, whose services can be used. if you need an overnight stay.
Svyato-Vvedenskaya island desert
Orthodox, now female, the monastery was founded on an island in the middle of Vvedensky (former Vyatsky) Lake in 1708. By the beginning of the 20th century, the monastery owned large lands, it was not its territory that the Sunday School was founded, the brothers-monks released hundreds of free lunches for people in need. In 1918, the lands and buildings were nationalized. They were returned to the church only in 1991. In 1995 the monastery was revived. Now the sisters-nuns live here. The following objects have been restored, revived and opened to the public: Vvedensky Cathedral, St. Nicholas Church, Rectory Building, Belfry and cell buildings.
Address: Vladimir region, Pokrovsky district, pos. Vvedensky (4 km from Pokrov).
For tourists who would like to get acquainted with the sights of modern Vladimir, there are many objects that attract the attention of travelers. Many of them are included in the tourist route “Golden Ring”. This line is designed to get acquainted with the history of the city for both adults and children. Each stop will be interesting for children of different ages. Basically, these are museums with interactive expositions, fascinating excursions, master classes. Almost all hotels in the city can help with the organization of the tour, as well as tell you how to get to a particular object.
Forge-Museum of Borodin
In the historical center of the city on a pedestrian street there is a unique museum of Borodin. This is a stylized antique forge, where, along with an excursion, a master class on blacksmithing is held. Borodins are hereditary blacksmiths. The secrets of metal products were passed down from generation to generation. Masters not only fascinatingly talk about their craft, but also participate in International exhibitions of handicraft art. Visitors are given the opportunity to make a souvenir themselves, using the equipment of the forge. Owners practice master classes in different areas of this craft. Tickets cost from 550 to 450 rubles.
Address: Vladimir, Georgievskaya str., 3g.
Museum “Old Pharmacy”
Next to the borodins’ forge there is a museum “Old Pharmacy”. The building and the pharmacy itself are more than 200 years old. It was opened in 1781. In front of the entrance there is a sculpture dedicated to the apothecary of past centuries. In 1987-88, a complete restoration of the building was carried out. From the day of opening until 1990, a real pharmacy worked here. But with the advent of new times, the margin of its strength has dried up. The authorities thought about how to preserve the architectural monument and the historical heritage of the city. The premises were empty until 2015, until Georgievskaya Street was turned into a pedestrian zone. Since 2017, a museum of the same name has been created in the Old Pharmacy. Ticket price 200 rub.
Address: Vladimir, Georgievskaya str., 3 (1st floor).
Museum “Lights of Vladimir”
The private thematic exposition of the museum “Lights of Vladimir” is devoted to the history of lighting and electrification of the city. It opened in 2016. The fund stores different types of lighting devices, ranging from the beam and ending with the latest electric lamps. Employees conduct interactive excursions, during which the exhibits can be touched with your hands, inspected, get acquainted with the internal structure. Tickets from 250 to 150 rubles, working hours – from 10.00 to 20.00 daily, without lunch and weekends. Excursions are held every hour.
Address: Vladimir, Bolshaya Moskovskaya str., 11
The Historical Museum is dedicated to the recipe and production of real chocolate in the Vladimir region. Here are collected unique recipes of delicacies, including sweets with filling, which visitors of the exposition can independently prepare. A visit to the facility includes three main activities: an excursion, a master class and a tasting. At the end of the program, guests of the museum will have a comic exam with the title of “Best Chocolatier”. Prices – 380 rubles (weekdays), 430 rubles (weekends). Pre-registration is required.
Address: Vladimir, Bolshaya Moskovskaya str., 42
Museum of Illusions and Sciences “Da Vinci”
This museum belongs to the most unusual and interesting places of Vladimir. There are two expositions here. One includes everything about optical illusions. The second is devoted to interesting discoveries in the world of science. The full program includes an excursion, a photo shoot, a chemical show. Photos taken against the background of the exhibits will be a good find for the owners of pages in social networks, who like to surprise subscribers and friends with unusual phenomena. In order for the picture to be more convincing, there are signs on the floor where to get up correctly, where it is better to take pictures. Unfortunately, while the museum does not work, but you can look here at:
Vladimir, Gagarin str., 5, 3rd floor.
In the tourist route “Golden Ring” there is another delicious museum. It presents an exposition of Russian traditions of cooking gingerbread. Each program includes an excursion, a master class and a tasting with tea drinking. Royal costumes are prepared for visitors. in which you can take a picture for memory. Children and adults can play gingerbread dominoes or Tetris, as well as make a souvenir for memory. Gingerbread in Russia is not in vain called souvenir. Each of them is a separate work of art. At the master classes, visitors are taught the artistic painting of printed gingerbread, sculpting and baking traditional Russian sweets. Children are invited to participate in the game program “Barbara”.
Address: Vladimir, Bolshaya Moskovskaya str., 42 (near the chocolate museum)
Museum of Lacquer Miniature Crystal and Embroidery
To learn more about traditional Russian crafts, you need to go to the building of the Old Believer Trinity Church. Since 1974, a unique exposition of crystal products, lacquer miniatures and traditional embroidery has been opened here. The exhibition stands house works of art created in Gus-Khrustalny of the last two centuries and the beginning of the 21st century. On the ground floor there is a souvenir shop where you can buy crystal dishes, Pavlovian shawls, Gzhel ceramics and other beautiful things created according to ancient technologies.
Address: Vladimir, Dvoryanskaya str., 2.
It is best to start sightseeing with the Golden Gate. At the stop of the same name, different types of public transport stop. In particular, buses 1c, 6s, 12s, 15, 16s, 17, 22, 25, 26, 27, 28, 33s, 152; trolleybuses 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, fixed-route taxis 5, 36. Which of them go from the places of residence of tourists, hotel administrators will prompt. Vladimir hotels are interested in attracting tourists and creating the best accommodation conditions for them.