A trip along the “Golden Ring” of Russia will definitely lead tourists to the ancient Russian city, the former capital of North-Eastern Russia, Pereslavl-Zalessky. It was founded by Grand Duke Yuri Dolgoruky in 1152. Then more than him in area were only Kiev and Smolensk. Today it looks like a fairy-tale city, washed by the waters of the mysterious Pleshcheev Lake. There are wooden houses with carved platbands, ancient defensive structures, a magical place with a stone that fulfills wishes. The distance from Moscow to Pereslavl-Zalessky is 140 km, as evidenced by the sign in the city center. Guests are greeted by the best hotels, restaurants, entertainment venues. The historic district is compact enough to have time to see the main sights in one day.
- 1 Plesheevo Lake National Park
- 2 Alexandrova Gora
- 3 Earthen ramparts of Pereslavl-Zalessky
- 4 Transfiguration Cathedral
- 5 Cathedral of the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God
- 6 St. Nicholas Monastery
- 7 Goritsky Assumption Monastery
- 8 Russian Park
- 9 Museum-estate “Botik of Peter I”
- 10 Blue Stone
- 11 Steam Locomotive Museum
- 12 Berendey’s House
- 13 Alexander Nevsky Museum
- 14 Iron Museum
- 15 Teapot Museum
- 16 Museum “Kingdom of Ryapushka”
- 17 Museum of the History of Money
- 18 Museum of Peasant Design “Horse in a Coat”
- 19 Museum of Gramophones and Records
- 20 Museum of Antique Sewing Machines
- 21 Radio Museum
- 22 Museum of Cunning and Ingenuity
- 23 Dendrological Garden named after S. F. Kharitonov
- 24 Nikitsky Monastery
- 25 Holy Trinity Danilov Monastery
- 26 Feodorovsky Monastery
- 27 Church of the Forty Martyrs
- 28 Source of St. Barbara
- 29 The Holy Spring of Nikita Stolpnik
Plesheevo Lake National Park
The natural visiting card of the city is Plesheevo Lake. Its age is about 30 thousand years. It is part of the National Park of the same name. Birds and even swamp turtles live on its shores, and more than 16 breeds of freshwater fish are found in the water, including the population of pereslavl ryapushka. In the 17th century, a training “awesome” flotilla of Peter I was built here. The exposition was revived in the early twentieth century, but due to revolutionary movements, it did not last long. Today, guests are invited to stroll along the alleys of the local arboretum. The man-made garden covers an area of 58 hectares. 600 species of various plants are planted here. By the hands of landscape designers, the territory is completely ennobled. On the lake there are recreation areas with mangal areas, a separate place for swimming, boat rental points.
Entrance fee. Ticket offices are located at the main objects of the park – the dendrological garden, the sailing area, the museum “Fisherman’s House”, the Blue Stone, the Kuhmar tract. You can pay for services via the Internet. The list of services includes: permission to visit the park, rent gazebos, provide a picnic point.
The central office is located on Sovetskaya Street, 41.
Walking along the shore of Lake Pleshcheev, it will be impossible to pass by the hill with a height of 170 m, on which Alexander Nevsky founded the Alexander Monastery (13th century). According to legend, the monastery served the prince as a country residence. The monastery ceased to exist in the 18th century, was completely destroyed. The dates of its activity were established by the found ruins during excavations. In the people, Alexander Mountain is called Yarilina Plesya or Bald Mountain. In ancient times, there was a well-fortified settlement of the people of the Finno-Ugric tribe merya – the settlement of Kleshchin.
Earthen ramparts of Pereslavl-Zalessky
The short history of the city of Kleshchin preceded the appearance of the Pereslavl-Zalessky Kremlin. Yuri Dolgoruky moved the fortress to a more fortified and spacious area at the mouth of the Trubezh River. On three sides, the protection was carried out by the waters of the Trubezh and Murmazh rivers (today it is filled in), on the fourth side a deep ditch was dug and filled with water. Around the perimeter, the prince ordered to pour earthen ramparts. Today they have settled, overgrown with grass, but still represent a formidable defensive structure. The ramparts stretch for 2 km. Their height is about 12 m. The ridge is 6 meters wide is a place for walks and unforgettable photo shoots. The ramparts still surround the historic part of the city.
After a walk along the earthen ramparts, the path lies on the territory of the Pereslavl-Zalessky Kremlin to the preserved architectural monuments. Here is the oldest Orthodox church, founded by decree of Yuri Dolgoruky in 1152 and completed in 1157 already under Andrei Bogolyubsky. This is the only one of all the cathedrals of North-Eastern Russia, which has reached us in complete safety. There are no paintings and frescoes in it, all were cleaned, destroyed, inside now only white walls. During the restoration, ancient Russian graphic drawings, an inscription about the murder of Andrei Bogolyubsky with a list of the names of his killers were discovered on the facade. Pereslavle princes were buried in the temple. The entrance is limited, the cathedral is part of the historical and architectural museum-reserve. The object is so interesting that it is better to come to it as part of an excursion group or with a guide.
The attraction is located in Pereslavl-Zalessky on Red Square 1A.
Cathedral of the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God
The architectural monument was built from 1740 to 1749. By decree of Catherine II, it was turned into a parish church, although earlier it was part of the Sretensky Novodevichy Monastery. This is reminiscent of a fragment of the preserved wall with a gatehouse. During the years of Soviet power, the temple was decided to be demolished, but then they gave it to the house of a sportsman. Today, St. Vladimir’s Cathedral again fulfills its direct purpose. Divine services are held here.
The building was built in the Russian Baroque style and is located in the heart of ancient Pereslavl on Sovetskaya Street, 12.
St. Nicholas Monastery
The existing convent was revived in the mid-90s. His temple, farmstead and buildings were built from 1348. Throughout history, it has been subjected to destruction and devastation several times. The surviving ensemble was rebuilt from 1680 to 1761. It was necessary to carry out colossal work on the restoration of the main temple blown up in 1923. Today on the territory you can visit St. Nicholas Cathedral with a bell tower, a cell building, a parable house and a church shop. The Annunciation Cathedral with the chapel of All Saints, the Church of St. Nicholas with the chapels of St. Demetrius of Prilutsky and the Great Martyr Victor, the Church of the Beheading of St. John the Baptist have been fully restored. Until the beginning of the 19th century, the monastery was male, then reformed into a convent. The sisters were engaged in the restoration of the economy allowed by the Soviet power.
The object is located on Gagarin Street, 43.
Goritsky Assumption Monastery
The monastery was founded under Ivan Kalita in the 14th century, but in 1744 it was abolished, the lands were confiscated by the state. In 1919, it was decided to organize a historical and architectural museum complex on its territory. On the territory of the Assumption Cathedral, the main exposition has been created, in the Church of the Epiphany there is a methodical department, in the Church of All Saints with a refectory chamber there is another exposition. The current is the church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. The ensemble is completed by the holy gates, the chambers of the gate gate, the fortress walls and towers. For the entrance to the territory you need to pay 50 rubles In order to get to the object, you can use public transport. Buses 1, 3, 6 go here.
The State Museum-Reserve is located in the Museum Lane, 4.
In 2014, a unique museum and exhibition complex was opened, which contains a collection of objects depicting the culture of the Russian people of the period of 19-20 centuries. On the territory there are exhibition pavilions, children’s and playgrounds, a horse yard, a petting zoo, a souvenir shop. Here you can get acquainted not only with the life and entertainment of the Russian people, but also to become a participant in the events. Many places are equipped for children’s recreation. Entrance fee. An adult ticket costs 300 rubles, children, pensioners, students are given a discount.
Address – Moskovskaya str., 158.
Guests of the city will be happy to receive hotels located nearby. These are “Royal Palace” (35 m), “Wind Rose” (160 m), “Guest House on Yamskaya” (900 m).
Museum-estate “Botik of Peter I”
One of the interesting branches of the city museum-reserve is located in the village of Veskovo (6 km along the highway). Here on Mount Gremyach, Emperor Peter I founded a shipyard for the construction of ships of the “amusing” flotilla. To the object where the boot “Fortune”, made by the autocrat himself, is installed, an index leads. The museum is one of the oldest in Russia. It was founded in 1803. it was visited more than once by titled persons of the Russian elite. Today, the expositions are located in the surviving buildings – the White Palace, the Boat House, the gatehouse, on the territory there is a monument to Peter, an obelisk, the Triumphal Gate, the rotunda has been preserved. A single ticket costs 200 rubles, for children and beneficiaries – 100 rubles.
In Veskovo museum can be found on peter I street, 77.
You can start or finish a walking tour on the shore of Lake Pleshcheev near Sin-Kamen. Popular rumor attributes to him miraculous properties. It is said that he fulfills wishes. There is no doubt that it was used by our pagan ancestors as a ritual artifact. The stone, which changes color depending on weather conditions, was the object of worship of the Meryans and ancient Slavs. Attention to the pagan shrine did not subside either during the introduction of Orthodoxy or during the years of Soviet atheism. Today it is gradually going underground. The area around it is ennobled and is a place of pilgrimage for representatives of various mystical movements.
Location – National Park “Plesheevo Lake”.
Steam Locomotive Museum
If someone thought that the above attractions are not enough to thoroughly get acquainted with the history of Pereslavl-Zalessky, then you can walk / drive through other interesting places. Open-air museums have long been commonplace in major cities. But here they went much further, collecting a unique collection of railway transport for the narrow gauge railway. The exposition consists of 50 objects, many of which have a certificate of monuments of historical technology. Each excursion is completed by riding on a manual dresin (to be paid separately). The entrance ticket for adults costs 200 rubles, children – 50 rubles.
The museum is located in the village. Talitsa, Leskhoznaya str., 1.
If berendeyevo kingdom, according to legend, is located in the Ryazan region, then his house is located in Pereslavl-Zalessky. The residence is built in the Russian style of log houses with elements of the tower, carved platbands and a colorfully decorated porch. Here, children and their parents will be offered to participate in master classes on the manufacture of nesting dolls, whistles and other traditional toys of Russian children. The excursion is held in the form of an entertainment program. Guests are invited to the fabulous living room, where you can sit on the Berendeev throne, listen to an interesting story about the past of our ancestors. Before you go, you need to make an appointment by phone or on the museum’s website. The entrance ticket costs 350 (adult)/100 (child) rubles. Master classes are more expensive. There is public transport – buses 104, 118, 501 – stop “Red Chemist”.
The address of the museum is Pereslavl-Zalessky, Uritsky Street, 38.
Alexander Nevsky Museum
Pereslavl-Zalessky is the birthplace of Novgorod Prince Alexander Nevsky, who won the famous Battle of the Ice. He was born here and lived until his father Yaroslav Vsevolodovich headed the Kiev principality. But Alexander Yaroslavovich never forgot about his small homeland. In memory of the great ancestor, this small museum was created. There are only 4 exhibitions in the permanent exhibition. All exhibits are selected with love, given that the main things of the commander are in the Russian Museum of St. Petersburg. Entrance fee. The building can be reached by buses 1, 3, 6, which run throughout the city, or stay at a hotel nearby and walk. Nearby are the hotels “Quiet Corner”, “Artists”, “Victoria Plaza”.
The address of the museum is Museum Lane, 9.
A private museum with a rich collection of irons was opened in 2002. Three years before this event, local antiquarian Andrei Vorobyov bought a burned old building in the city center from the municipality. In parallel with the repair work, work was underway to create a fund and an exposition. Exhibits were purchased at auctions, flea markets, searched for in the graves. Then they were restored and occupied a worthy place on the shelves of the vault. More than 70% of the museum’s income is received through the sale of antique irons. Souvenir shop is located on the 1st floor. Entrance to the tour is paid. Adult ticket – 200 rubles., Children – 100 rubles. The museum is located at the address: Sovetskaya Street, 11.
Having opened the Iron Museum, entrepreneur Andrei Vorobyov did not stop there and created the Teapot Museum in the village of Veskovo. To do this, he bought an ordinary country house and did not even change anything in it. Just painted in bright colors and put a pointer. The exposition contains kettles and samovars, as well as kitchen utensils, which were used in past centuries. In the central hall of the hut there is a real gramophone. Each excursion ends with listening to some forgotten song. Exhibits can be bought.
The bright blue hut, surrounded by a blue-red fence, is located in Veskovo on Peter I Street, 17, just between the Museum of Money and the estate “Botik of Peter I”.
Museum “Kingdom of Ryapushka”
In Veskovo you can spend the whole day sightseeing. The Museum “Kingdom of Ryapushka” recreates the history of the unique Pleshcheev fish, the population of which still pleases local fishermen. No excursion is complete without tasting. The exposition was created in the Fisherman’s House. For the participants of the program, a master class on cooking a magic fish is held. It is not for nothing that it was called “royal herring”. Adults will be taught how to salt and dry ryapushka, and children will be able to make a souvenir for memory. An adult ticket costs 150 rubles, a children’s ticket – 100 rubles, a preferential one – 130 rubles From Pereslavl-Zalessky buses 106, 112, 113 go here (stop “Teapot House”).
The museum is located at 16 Peter I Street.
Museum of the History of Money
Peter the Great Street never ceases to amaze with an abundance of authentic museums. After admiring the teapots and tasted the delicious ryapushka, you can visit the Museum of the History of Money. The basis of the exposition was the private collection of numismatist Alexander Altunin. He collected unique coins and banknotes for 40 years. During this time, each exhibit has become even more expensive, because it has a history. Excursion and photography are included in the price of the entrance ticket. The price for adults will be 150 rubles, for children – 100 rubles.
The museum is located in Veskovo on Peter I Street, 26.
Information for those who want to spend the night in Veskovo. The village has a well-developed structure of hospitality. Conditions of comfortable accommodation are provided by the hotels “Country House on Botik”, “Turret”, “Zalesskaya Province”.
Museum of Peasant Design “Horse in a Coat”
A private collection of objects of peasant life of the 18-19 centuries is collected in the exposition of the museum “Horse in a coat”. The organizers decided to awaken the interest of the younger generation in the traditions of peasant design and everyday life. Here are collected collections of ancient jewelry, weapons, utensils. Interactive technologies are used in excursions. Master classes are often held on the manufacture of crafts, textiles, metal forging, wood carving and other techniques of traditional material processing. In the museum building there is a guest house where you can stay and live a little. The conditions are not rustic, but comfortable, with a mangal area, a wooden font, free parking. The location is more than good in relation to other attractions.
Address: Pereslavl-Zalessky, 17, Konnaya Str.
Museum of Gramophones and Records
Private collectors of Pereslavl-Zalessky got a unique opportunity to open their own museums after the city got into the tourist route “Golden Ring of Russia”. In the museum of gramophones and gramophones, you can not only see retrograde devices for listening to recordings, but also listen to your favorite music in their original sound. Gramophones, electrophones, radios, turntables of all stripes have become a great invention of mankind, which the collector and owner of the museum gladly tells visitors. Address: Veskovo village, Peter the Great street, 77.
Museum of Antique Sewing Machines
The exposition was based on the private collection of the Kuvykina family from Ivanovo. The couple collected and restored the exhibits for 10 years. For the organization of the exhibition was provided with a building built in 1900. The fund contains 300 items of sewing machines and accessories for sewing of European and Russian production. At the master class, each visitor will be able to personally sew a “bag of happiness” on the best machine of all time, released by the German company “Singer”. Excursions and classes are conducted by the owners of the collection themselves. They seek to revive interest in sewing as a type of needlework.
Address of the museum: Pereslavl-Zalessky, Kardovskogo str., 23.
This museum was created in order to acquaint children with the ways of communication at a time when there was no Internet, but there were already means for radio communication. The permanent exhibition is divided into four thematic exhibitions: lamp radio, cinema and photo equipment, television, marine space fleet. Here they will talk about long and short waves, show the best examples of technology of the 30-60s of the last century, teach how to transmit and receive signals on the air. A separate exhibition is devoted to the history of the Soviet Marine Space Fleet. After the collapse of the USSR, it was almost destroyed. The ships were decommissioned and disposed of. The only miraculous survivors is now in Kaliningrad. Employees will tell about the amazing history of all the ships that the whole world admired at one time.
You can get acquainted with the exhibits of the museum at the address: Pereslavl-Zalessky, Podgornaya Street, 40.
Museum of Cunning and Ingenuity
About russian cunning and ingenuity there are many fairy tales, tales and legends. At the same time, the emphasis is not on deception (the Russians never deceived), but on the “Kulibin” abilities of the inhabitants of Pereslavl-Zalessky. Initially, an exhibition of local crafts was planned here. It was opened in 2011. The fund was constantly replenished with products, but among them more and more often there were improved things that facilitate life. Now there are fascinating excursions telling stories about unique objects created in past centuries. For example, there is a set of porcelain cups with jumpers “for an uncle with a large mustache”, prototypes of modern juicers, powder magazines, a cane-stool and a lot of things that demonstrate the inexhaustible imagination of Russian craftsmen. Excursion and photography are included in the ticket price. The price for adults is 150 rubles, children – 50 rubles.
Address: Pereslavl-Zalessky, Sovetskaya str., 14B
Dendrological Garden named after S. F. Kharitonov
The arboretum was created on the territory of the National Park “Plesheevo Lake”. Employees have developed 6 routes of different lengths. For children, the “Path of Fairy Tales” was specially created. Near the entrance there is a bicycle/scooter rental shop, as well as a shop selling plant seeds. More than 600 species of different trees, flowers, herbs and shrubs grow on the territory. They create a special microclimate, as well as conditions for the prevention of the respiratory system of the body. If there is a desire to settle near the arboretum, then there are the following hotels nearby: “Yasnaya Polyana”, “Treehouse”, guest house “MiVEr”.
Address of the arboretum: Pereslavl-Zalessky, Zhuravleva str., 16.
The territory of North-Eastern Russia is not accidentally a place of pilgrimage for Orthodox believers. Here are preserved the oldest Orthodox churches and monasteries, built in the ancient and Middle Ages. One of these monasteries is the Nikitsky Monastery. For the first time it is mentioned in the annals of 1186, but it was laid much earlier. Brothers-monks consider it the foundation of 1010. It was then that the first Christian preachers Boris and Hilarion appeared here. They built the first churches on Lake Pleshcheev. The architectural ensemble of the monastery, which has survived to this day, was rebuilt in the period from 1560 to 1876. On the territory there is a Nikitsky Cathedral (built in 1564). Visitors will be able to see the fortress walls, towers (preserved since the 1560s), the Church of the Annunciation with a refectory, a chapel, two bell towers, a monastic building.
Address: Nikitskaya Sloboda village, Zaprudnaya str., 20
Holy Trinity Danilov Monastery
The date of foundation of this male Orthodox monastery dates back to 1508. It began to build the confessor of Grand Duke Basil III monk Daniel. In the time of troubles, the monastery was badly damaged, but was restored by the forces of the laity and brothers-monks. A seminary was even built on the territory (1753-1788 biennium), which was reformed into a theological school. In 1923, the monastery was closed, desecrated and looted. The premises and the yard were given to the machine and tractor workshop, during the war there lived captured Germans, and in the postwar years the military training unit was located. The monastery was returned to the ROC in 1995. In the Trinity Cathedral, divine services were immediately resumed. On the territory there are several ancient churches.
Address: Pereslavl-Zalessky, Lugovaya str., 17.
The women’s monastery has existed since 1304. The monastery was founded on the historical site of the internecine battle of two Russian princes – Moscow Yuri Danilovich and Tver Mikhail Yaroslavovich. It took place on the day of Theodore Stratilata. Then a lot of people died. In memory of this sorrowful event, a monastery was founded, in which first brothers and then sisters still pray for those who died in unjust wars. The central temple of Theodore Stratilat (1557) has been preserved, despite the fact that during the years of Soviet power there was a children’s colony, a nursing home, an office of a construction trust. In 1998, all the buildings were transferred to the ROC. After the restoration work, services immediately resumed.
Address: Pereslavl-Zalessky, Moskovskaya str., 85
Church of the Forty Martyrs
Judging by the entries in the salary books, the temple already existed in 1628. Documents on its foundation have not been preserved. The church is located in a surprisingly picturesque location – on the shore of Lake Pleshcheev from the mouth of the Trubezh River. The stone building was built to replace the two dilapidated wooden ones in 1755. The cold aisle was consecrated in honor of the forty martyrs, and the warm one in honor of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin. From 1938 to 1998, the temple was closed and used as a warehouse. Now the services are resumed in full.
Address: Pereslavl-Zalessky, 165 Left Embankment Str.
Source of St. Barbara
One of the local legends is associated with the Varvarin Spring. According to her, the healing water was pointed out by a deaf-mute guy who suddenly began to speak, having drunk miraculous water. This happened more than two and a half centuries ago. Then a chapel was installed near the source, which was burned during the years of Soviet power. Now the church has been restored, the territory has been ennobled, a bath has been installed. The parish lives on the donations of parishioners, is actively restored and accepts all comers.
The object is located 12 km from Pereslavl-Zalessky. You need to go along the highway to the sign “Nikitsky Monastery”, then turn at the appropriate sign.
The Holy Spring of Nikita Stolpnik
You can not go to the Varvarin spring, but turn to the spring of Nikita Stolpnik. It is located in the area of the Nikitsky Monastery (1 km) in the direction of the Blue Stone and Alexander Mountain. On the territory of the hollow, where the spring beats, a bath, a chapel and two wells were built.
The sights of Pereslavl-Zalessky are so diverse that you can break them into thematic blocks. Which was done in the submitted text. The layout of routes according to their own preferences is in the competence of the traveler. The ancient city keeps its secrets from outsiders, but is ready to share them with inquisitive people.